Sunday, June 9, 2013

Happy Father's Day Next Week June 9, 2013

 Happy Father's Day Next Week
and Pursuing Lifelong Dreams
June 9, 2013
 
 
Happy Father's Day To All The Fathers In The World!
 

     It's a little early, but Happy Father's Day to everyone who is a father, or who is about to become a father, or to those who love and miss a father.  So here's a video to make you smile and cry...
 
 
This is what the singer-songwriter said about writing this tribute to his father:
"A one day wonder that I would never have dreamed could have been a hit. My manager, Irving Azoff, heard the track and had it released. Great instincts. One of my most emotional memories was playing it for my father for the first time. He truly gave me more than I could ever repay." (Dan Fogelberg) - from the liner notes in Portrait.

What about "The Leader of the Band," was that something you had been wanting to write for a while?

"That was totally spontaneous, it was a one-day wonder, I just happened to sit down with the guitar and bingo, that thing was done. I mean I never consciously wanted to write a song to my father. If I had consciously thought about it, I never would have done it. Because I thought it was too obscure and certainly non-commercial. That for me was a real great moment, because whether or not that song was ever a hit, it meant a great deal to my father. He got to hear it, and it said things that neither one of us could say to each other. We weren't real communicative males, you know, we're midwestern (laughs). So that song was so timely because he only lasted about another year after that. That'll always be a real special song to me." (Dan Fogelberg) - Interview by Lydia Hutchinson
Dan Fogelberg: Acoustics Guitars and Vocals.
Vince Melamed: Synthesizer Horns.
*Special thanks to Bobby for sharing Liner Notes from his Portrait Booklet!


 
 
On another topic... 
 
     The following article appeared on my Road Runner home page, from www.bankrate.com this morning:  "Pursuing Lifelong Dreams In Retirement."  It's worth a read, but it really encourages giving one's time to helping others after one retires from a lifelong career.  The article was written by Sheyna Steiner and Sharon Anne Waldrop.
 
 
 Photo Credit:  www.bankrate.com or www.rr.com
 
       After reading the article, it appears that one should devote the retirement years to giving back to others.  I tend to disagree with that premise; I have been "giving back" to students, parents, and employers, not to mention churches, homeless shelters, Salvation Army, and many, many other organizations for my entire career.
 
     So, I hate to admit it, but I'm ready for someone to give back to me.   The next time a Boy Scout or church youth group or social organization wants to mow and edge the lawn of this helpless old senior citizen, I'm going to say, "Yes!" and "Yippee!" and "Thanks very much!"
 
 
 
 
      
 
     
 
 
 

No comments: